Monday, April 28, 2008

Family Failures

Why do families always chose to support the best and the brightest out of the bunch? They go through all of this hoopla to make sure the gifted in the family are recognized but fail to do so with other family members? I guess everyone wants to brag to say hey I had a hand in that child's life and look where they are now. But, I never see the same time spent on those who are considered the troubled ones, who need the attention, love and support the most? It hurts my heart that families do this and then don't want to help said person(s) when they want to change. A families success story is just as important as the ones they consider failures. It starts early, no child or even people learn or think the same; their thought processes are different. Yet no one wants to be that guiding light for those whose talents need a little more polish than others.

Take me for example, very deep things would be affecting me and I buried myself in my school work so I didn't have to think about them and I could preoccupy myself that way. I was always looked at as the good student of the bunch and everyone had (still have) high hopes for me. Everyone wants to say look I gave her that helping hands, I did this I did that. My sister on the other hand is an incredible writer and most of our family wouldn't know that because she is considered the one who is hard-headed, stubborn, a trouble-maker, etc. It just would be nice if she would have gotten the same attention as I and maybe she would be a little better off.

Kind of pisses me off because I recognized us being treated differently when we were younger and brought it to the attention of one of my family member's to which she replied " (Sister's Name) is doing that to herself, she is responsible for her own actions, so no I am not willing to extend my hand out to help her" or something like that. Now I don't disagree that my sis is responsible for her own actions but responsibility is something I don't think falls onto just one person. People should be there along the way to point out why what you did was irresponsible and the repercussions it has without being condescending and rude!

2 comments:

6ix said...

i realy started out with a few smart-ass comments ready to go. But by the time i finished i now feel bad, bout your sister, you, and the reality that families do choose sides, and with siblings that can be very harsh. So damn, damn you, i was feeling quite the a-hole today. Turns out you are right, its bad, sad, and uncalled for. Now i feel like being a big brother or something, uggggh!

Miss Kella said...

Yay, gotta grab hold of the youth now before its too late!